Sunday, December 7, 2008

Only what's relevant...

Yesterday I had my semi-annual evaluation meeting with my favorite program director and mentor. He told me I was doing well, that I would make an excellent endocrinologist and offered some advice on reading: Read only what you think will change the way you practice. Taking this information back home, I looked at copy of the Annals of Internal Medicine that had been sitting by my bedside. There were articles on a doctor's perspective, a trial that showed community-acquired pneumonia was more likely within the first 30 days of starting a PPI, and the ACP guidelines on osteoporosis. Of all the articles there was only 1 that may have changed the way I practiced and lucky for me, it was endo-related. Sadly, it was the one that I haven't had to do much with other than skim.

I did do some reading about purpura yesterday. My CPC case has purpura. I thought they were palpable purpura, but that was a miscommunication which changes everything. I guess this means I can spend less time looking at the details of vasculitits and more on ITP. But one interesting fact: purpura that are irregular in shape are usually from emboli and correspond to the area that the artery or arteriole supply. Purpura that are circular are usually from a vasculitis because the blood vessels that extravasate do so in a uniform fashion around one area.

That's all I got for today. Until next time!

No comments: